- “Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris)” http://t.co/psU3toJ via @500px #photography #
- And it is true for a lot of RoR beginners…. RT @AtulChitnis: Jeremy Zawodny: I actually tried learning Rails http://bit.ly/lNuvPr #
- Arrrghhhhhh!!!!! #WTF RT @madmanweb: I have to wait 10 months for the next season of Game of Thrones? Noooo! #
- Voda India scraps lawsuit over Facebook rant http://t.co/2BNSVcH #
- Yahoo Maps Finally Taken Off Life Support: Gone By September http://bit.ly/lreesi #
- Starting with the book "A Clash of kings" the book after "Game of thrones" Continue reading
A quick note to myself, while I still recover from my first Kindle Krash
- Slide and hold the power switch for at least 15 seconds, this is way past when the green light on the power switch goes off indicating that the Kindle has been turned off
- Release the switch
- Slide the power switch again – nothing will happen immediately
- Wait for 30 to 40 seconds – it reboots
And while you are waiting for your Kindle to reboot take a look at some of the keyboard shortcuts
- @phishy Hope to see a long blog post for #CakePHP to #li3 conversion #
- Hand Shadow Guide for iPhone http://is.gd/54LP0m would be some good party fun…. #
- @vinitneo Where are you getting your torrents from eztv seems to be not updating often…. #
- @vinitneo DM #
- iPad 2 Smart Cover-compatible cases: our roundup http://zite.to/kJ7ay8 the belkin one looks promising #
- Make your own photo booth using iPad and DSLR http://zite.to/lcf1Ic would be so much fun at a party! Continue reading
- @qtfan what happened to your HDD? #
- . @pradeepto I don't know why @nidhi_razdan does that, but I would Rt them too if there were nasty tweets about me. #
- Nice retro look! RT @AtulChitnis: Carrom on iPad, anyone? (Free, for NOW) http://bit.ly/laslvY #
- @hasgeek Tried to login with twitter the return URL gave an internal server error…. #
- RT @Kingsley2: Forget Baba Ramdev & Anna Hazare, I think Manmohan Singh should enter politics. #
- You can go after the poacher. But what do you do a guy who says, 9% growth is needed for abolishing India's poverty http://bit.ly/mBipgJ Continue reading
Suddenly everyone and their cousin is talking about a Flickr alternative that is attracting users in large numbers – 500px, oh! well, 45k may be large for some I have been putting my digital photographs online since past 10+ years and have moved from uploading them to my own personal site, to flickr and then joining the 500px bandwagon recently.
My first reaction to 500px was indeed WOW! this is so much better. After using the app for a while the WOWness wore down a bit, some what like the second year of a marriage, I began to notice the shortcomings. Not wanting to get too frustrated I decided to blog the good and the bad and keep using the site. May be I will come back to review this post a year later.
500px is not Flickr – the Good
- The user experience on first flush is indeed very nice. The large square thumbnails with semi-transparent caption overlays are definitely how a photo website should be.
- The tabbed interface for Photos, Activities, Friends etc is clutter free and intuitive.
- The main photo display page gives a good 900px wide display which is much needed to appreciate a photo.
- Below the main photo display is a filmstrip display of recommended photos – great for discovering photos
- The concept of Blog and Wall integrated into a photo sharing site is indeed useful and nice.
- The editorial picks ensure that there is a human curating the choicest of the photos for you.
- You have an easy to remember URL for your portfolio with your user name eg: mine is http://tariquesani.500px.com/
- The portfolios can be themed and are separate from your photostream. Portfolio also has sections for Biography and Contact – Add to that the fact you can point your own domain to your portfolio and you get a ready made website solution for photographers who are web challenged.
500px is not Flickr – the bad
- No public API!!! I could not find any mention of any API, no API means no upload app for any device, no possibility to create mashups or easy way to integrate your pics in other places. Yes the sharing to Facebook, Twitter etc is there but can I make a plugin for my favorite CMS? No! I may be wrong here, so if someone knows where the API is let me know.
- No Geo-location integration – yes that map with red dot thingie.
- No way to view extended EXIF info – these two points are very important for me.
- No HTML in description, URLs in descriptions do not become hyperlinks automatically.
- No way easy to see pictures in various sizes
- I did discover a tedious work around though. If the photo url is http://500px.com/photo/799387 then you can view the various size images at http://photos.500px.com/799387/1, http://photos.500px.com/799387/2, http://photos.500px.com/799387/3, http://photos.500px.com/799387/4 and http://photos.500px.com/799387/5 -Update: No longer works but is available thru an API call.
- No concept of permissions – everything is public by default.
- No way to declare licenses for your pictures – I like to explicitly indicate that my pictures are under a creative commons license.
- There are categories but no concept of groups. Special interest groups are needed to popularize your pictures to your intended audience and creating communities.
I guess I should leave the good and the bad equally balanced at eight points each. In summary a lot of effort has gone into the UX and UI part of the app now what we need to see is more features. Also I do wonder how things will scale up with increasing user traffic. Given the fact that they have received a funding I do hope to see accelerated rate of development. Plus at least at this point the developers appear to be communicating with their users.
P.S. That there are better photos at 500px as compared to Flickr will soon become moot as more and more users join in.
Update: An API was launched Mid Aug 2011 and you can get the details at http://developers.500px.com/
- App store like pricing and discounts seem to be emerging for #Kindle books #good #
- Useful Cheat Sheets for Front End Web Developers http://zite.to/iINmO0 #
- WordPress child themes what, why and how. http://zite.to/j99Wh9 Stop editing your themes #
- @kushaldas Unfortunately out of the box #kindle wont read epub format – but #calibre can convert anything to anything for you. #
- @kbhargava Have added #kindle section to #zite – you get a couple of promising books free every couple of days, usually new authors… #
- So #Amazon has started checking IP against the stated country….. Continue reading
- [CakePHP] Organizing themes in sub-folders
CakePHP offers a wonderful built-in theming solution. However, the only shortfall is that all themes are to be kept in a single folder and there is no direct way to organize them in sub-folders. This post assumes that you are familiar with CakePHP Theming concepts. If not, then head on to the book before reading [...]
- Geo-distance search in Sphinx
A common scenario in many search applications is geo-distance based searches. Geo-distance search means finding geographic locations nearby to the specified point on earth. Geo distance search is a very common feature in applications involving set of entities each having a specific geographic coordinate associated with it. Some examples are real estate portals, property listings, [...]