- At Nairobi Airport, Kenya Airways Lounge – wondering should I start to sort the 14000 photos #
- @Bendre The shot was taken by @swatisani in reply to Bendre #
- @Ramblinggeek Thanks for the ff and I will deal with the 'sir' when I meet you IRL in reply to Ramblinggeek #
- At Mumbai airport – almost home after a harrowing experience with Keyna Air downgrading us and off loading our luggage #
- 127.0.0.1 #
- @sunshin3girl It is standard IP for localhost AKA home on any machine Continue reading
- Carry a good bean bag, Even with a small lens your wrists can get tired pretty soon and tripods are not very useful inside a vehicle.
- Do not overlook taking wide angle shots – carry a good wide lens – a 10-20mm Sigma is a nice starter lens.
- A 400mm lens is mostly reach enough, you will not miss much if you do not have a longer lens – but do carry your big guns if you can.
- Do not ignore the birds there are plenty of them in Manyara, Serengeti as well as Ngorongoro.
- Use the biggest vehicle you can find and afford and do not fill it – have one photographer per row of seats.
- Pick up cans of Insect repellent sprays, they will be there in your rooms, wear full sleeves shirts. Avoid wearing blue and black – the Tsetse flies can be very irritating though the Serengeti ones are not disease carrying.
- Learn the Swaheli words for the common animals – the guides and drivers keep up a constant chatter on the radio and won’t share unless you specifically ask.
- Do day long game drives – unlike in India they are allowed in Tanzania and most resorts will give you packed breakfast as well as lunches.
- Rhinos in Ngorongoro are always very far off – get hold of a friendly Ranger who has the authority to go on “Ranger only” tracks and somehow convince him to take you in his vehicle.
- Carry enough storage cards for your camera and also spare batteries – you will certainly shoot more than you anticipated. Do not delete pictures in the field.
And this last one is a general tip for travelers using Kenya Airways – board early. Kenya airways has a monopoly in the sector and treat passengers like shit. You may want to read what we went through while flying back
So you have been waiting for the first image from my trip to East Africa. I could have put in many other dramatic things like the Lion, Rhino, Cheetah or the Hippo but I felt that those mammals are rather cliched. So I decided to put a common but unique bird Read more about the Hammerkop
- Beginning day 4 – Been fantastic so far. Lots of birds as well. Will move to Kirawira in the evening #
- @noelladsa Ultimately caries will set in – get it out in reply to noelladsa #
- @rookd1 We are on a photo expedition in East Africa in reply to rookd1 #
- @fox2mike Shooting roughly 2K pics per day will take time to just sort them #
- @codemaverik No self planned – pics etc when I get back am on a roaming data connection in reply to codemaverik #
- SWii d Continue reading
- @_techie Make documenting a part of your coding….. in reply to _techie #
- @_techie Get into habit of using svn/git + code_sniffer makes life easier by enforcing discipline in reply to _techie #
- @lazygarfield You can go with a free service like posterous is pretty hot these days in reply to lazygarfield #
- @_techie Use code_sniffer as pre-commit hook 4 svn – U will not B able 2 comit unless yr code is properly styled, standardized & documented in reply to _techie #
- @yuhuh He is just using foursquare #
- Just got Flickery, MainMenu for Mac OS X added to my bundle for free. 11 awesome Mac apps for an insane low price. http://www.macbuzzer.com Continue reading
“Aren’t you two bored of each other?” The question took me by surprise! No it has never occurred to me that I will get bored of Swati, but then perhaps I am too naive when it comes to marital relationships. For me this is one relationship where things are in black and white without any intervening gray shades. The question however did make me ponder as to why it should be raised at all and I cringed. Today I don’t want to wade thru the dissatisfactions of others trying to find why I am not… Heh! even writing that sounds pretty stupid. The day marks 16 years of being married to Swati.
I quoted Kaifi Azmi on our 10th anniversary
Dil me sanam ki soorat
Aakhon me aashiqui de
Mere khuda mujhe tu
Ek aur zindagi de
And that still holds true!
Ironically 7 years ago I did write Till boredom do us apart… and I have titled this as anniversary of blah simply because the 16th anniversary has no traditional gifts associated with it – so don’t try to read too much into it
Among more mundane things – no special plans for the day we may go out for dinner but the excitement is about getting everything ready for our Friday departure to Tanzania for 9 days!!
- @qtfan The both sux equally but in different location – so find out locally. In Wadi Tata Photon works great ! in reply to qtfan #
- Started watching Two and a half men #hilarious #
- @qtfan Thanks for giving it to me in reply to qtfan #
- @qtfan very few seeds in reply to qtfan #
- If in #nagpur get a USB stick and take Ubuntu 10.04 ISO from abbasali1 – will be faster and asking for a free CD from #shipit #
- and @yuhuh also has the iso of Ubuntu 10.04 he can be pinged for it as well…. Continue reading
While the Indian folklore is full of tales about how the mongoose is the fiercest enemy of the snake and is generally looked upon as the good guy, the tale which really endeared me to the mongoose was Rudyard Kipling’s short story Rikki Tikki Tavi in his novel Jungle Book. Continue reading
- Unit tests with CakePHP – Blog of Leonid Mamchenkov http://bit.ly/9cNoC2 via @AddToAny #
- Angled Castor – Ariadne ariadne http://is.gd/bI5fb #butterfly #photograph #
- Yay! got my copy of "Birds of East Africa" !!!! #
- @qtfan Thanks for the RT #butterfly #photograph in reply to qtfan #
- @qtfan Nope not now… in reply to qtfan #
- @geetanjalid because I will be there in May Continue reading