After nearly 3 weeks of grueling 18 hour days, yesterday was a day when we did not have things lined up to be completed before the day end… in fact we had nothing lined up.
Aasim returned from Delhi on Saturday evening; suddenly grown-up in some ways – 20 days is the longest he has stayed away from us but we were glad that he was enjoying with his uncles while we were overloaded with work.
Entire this year up till now has been driven by a single goal – getting the new home+office completed! Every other activity including bird watching and photography was put on hold, not only because there was so much to do but also because for the first time we were executing a project which depended on future cashflow projections.
After seemingly everything has been listed and accounted and then a margin added, things turn up which inflate your budget – this we were warned of by many people. However I am extremely relieved to say that though things did turn up there were enough areas where we had over budgeted and the final tally is going to be within the estimate which we made in November 2006. There were some scary moments but thanks to each of our clients every projected payment came through and then some more… …
While the office shifted on 1st of this month, shifting the home to the new house will still take a few weeks but we are there for all practical purposes – shifting is like making a software live – no matter how many tests you did – there are always bugs, you can only minimize the number. For the office too there have been minor irritants like water leaking from a couple of places in the glazed windows, condensation on AC dripping when humidity is 80% but they appear to have been solved for now.
A couple of days ago we noticed that there is a brood of 3 just of of nest Shikra chicks which play in the garden – it is fun to watch them as they play aerial tag, scream for parents or just hop around utterly unafraid. Coming Sunday I intend to go around the forest which is almost encircles the new house…
We have also been busy writing on the SANIsoft blog in the past few days
- Paperwork and Procedures
- Multilingual apps with CakePHP
- MediaWiki Gotcha
- Showing combobox option instead of value in editor grid for extjs
- Use cake console with LAMPP
- PHP array to JSON in CakePHP
Yes, I do intend to update this journal more often